Copyediting & Proofreading
My quote for your project will depend on a few criteria, including:
- Nature of the editing assignment. Manuscript evaluations are billed very differently than copyediting. Condensing work takes more time than proofreading.
- Nature of the client. Students, for example, pay less than professionals.
- Timeline. Next-day or weekend contracts, when it is possible to schedule them in, will incur a 25% surcharge.
Please contact me for a quote and to discuss a timeline. My basic hourly rate is CA$55/GB£33 (CA$41.25/GB£24.75 for students), and I bill by the quarter hour. Please ask me for rates in your currency. I regularly edit for individuals around the world and manage these payments through PayPal.
For lengthier projects (10,000+ words), I offer a free post-edit consultation (to a maximum of one hour and if desired by the client). Subsequent consultations are billed at the original hourly rate. Please ask for details.
There are no hidden fees and no taxes.
- Payment is due on receipt of your edited document.
- I accept payment via Interac e-transfer (electronic bank transfer) and PayPal (PayPal will incur a 3% surcharge).
- I do not accept personal cheques.
- In cases where you are billing your employer, company cheques are acceptable.
- Meetings/consultations are billed at the same rate (CA$55/hour).
- The editing process is not a guarantee that your work will be published.
- Up to 2,500 word submission: CA$140
- Full manuscript: CA$140 for first 2,500 words + $2.25 per 250 words thereafter (e.g., fee for 50,000 words: $140 + $427.50 = $567.50)
In your request, please:
- Provide a word count for the entire manuscript;
- Indicate whether you would like me to evaluate the full manuscript or the first 2,500 words;
- Indicate the genre (fiction, creative nonfiction, academic monograph, etc.).
Note: For novelists submitting their debut novels for evaluation, I strongly recommend an initial evaluation of the first 10 pages.